, claims she was kept from communicating with her grandchildren while she was on vacation in Arizona and unaware that she was reported missing until she overheard a TV report on her whereabouts, according to court documents. Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine
In a statement submitted Thursday to a California court, Katherine Jackson, 82, says her phone was "taken away" and she was never informed that Michael Jackson's children – Prince, Paris and Blanket – were trying to reach her. "…At the time, I trusted the people I was with to be honest with me," Jackson said, according to court documents.
Jackson added, "One morning I woke up to the sound of the television. While there was no picture, I heard a broadcast that stated I was missing." Jackson also stated in the court documents that the phone and television in her room didn't work.
"Mrs. Jackson indeed needed a restful vacation, which she got," her lawyer, Perry Sanders, told ABC News. "The mere fact that she was unaware that there was chaos outside her quiet spa surroundings until she arrived back home and after her interview with the children who arranged the trip, is of no moment."
"Mrs. Jackson stands by her statement that none of her children had bad intentions, notwithstanding that certain of their actions created an unnecessarily dramatic situation," he said.
The court documents were released the same day a California judge reinstated Katherine's guardianship of Prince, Paris and Blanket. While Jackson was away a judge removed her temporarily as guardian and named her grandson, TJ Jackson, 34, as temporary caretaker of the late legend's children. TJ Jackson is the son of Tito Jackson.
In Thursday's hearing, Judge Mitchell Beckloff said an investigator visited Katherine's Calabasas, Calif. home last Friday and had a "glowing review" of how she's taking care of the children.
"I think the kids are in terrific hands, I really do," Beckloff said, adding "All the controversy you told me [last week] caused me concern, but I'm certain Mrs. Jackson is doing a terrific job."
Jackson had earlier said the court ruling that removed her as guardian "was based on a bunch of lies" and that she was "devastated" that her grandchildren were taken away from her.
When Jackson did return home on July 26, Prince Jackson tweeted a statement, saying, "Although I am happy my grandma was returned, after speaking with her I realized how misguided and how badly she was lied to. I'm really angry and hurt."
Some of Jackson's statements in Thursday's court documents conflict with what she told ABC News in a televised statement on July 25th while in Arizona.
"One reason I didn't call is I just gave up my phone, and I didn't want to have any phone calls," Jackson told ABC News then of why her grandchildren couldn't reach her by telephone.
Reading from a paper on July 25th with three of her children, Randy, Janet and Rebbie, seated next to her, Jackson also debunked rumors that she had been kidnapped.
"There are rumors going around about me that I have been kidnapped and held against my will," she said in the prepared statement. "I am here today to let everybody to know that I am fine.
"My children would never do a thing to me like that, holding me against my will. It's very stupid for people to think that," she said. "There's a lot of lies that have been put out there and I am going home to straighten them out, and this kind of stuff doesn't make sense."
Feud Over a Fortune
The back-and-forth comes amid a bitter family dispute over Michael Jackson's estate, estimated at $1 billion, that was left to his mother and his children.
In a recent letter to the executors of Michael Jackson's estate, Randy, Jermaine, Janet and Rebbie Jackson called the will of the late pop star "fake, flawed and fraudulent." They claim its signature is false: That though the document gives Michael's location on the day he signed as Los Angeles, they know him to have been in New York. They accuse the two executors, John Branca and John McClain, of everything from coercing family matriarch Katherine Jackson, to mishandling business deals, to getting too high of a cut for themselves from those same deals.
In response to the siblings' letter, the executors of the estate, Branca and McClain, issued a statement denying the accusations.
"Any doubts about the validity of Michael's will and his selection of Executors were thoroughly and completely debunked two years ago when a challenge was rejected by the Los Angeles County Superior Court, the California Court of Appeals and, finally, the California Supreme Court," they wrote in the statement.
"We are saddened that false and defamatory accusations grounded in stale Internet conspiracy theories are now being made by certain members of Michael's family whom he chose to leave out of his will. We are especially disheartened that they come at a time when remarkable progress has been made to secure the financial future of his children by turning around the Estate's finances as well as during a time when so many of Michael's fans, old and new, are enjoying his artistry through exciting new projects," they wrote.
On Wednesday, Jermaine Jackson issued a plea for peace in the family and withdrew his signature from the letter.
"Mistakes have been made and irrational things have been said on both sides in a highly-charged emotional environment," he wrote on Twitter. "It is time for us all to draw a line in the sand and move towards peace, co-operation, love and healing. I truly hope that we can find it in our hearts to do so. Because above and beyond anything else, what matters … is family."
While Katherine Jackson was in Arizona, an incident took place July 23, in which the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department responded to a reported "family disturbance" at the Jackson family home in Calabasas, Calif.
There were reports that Randy, Jermaine Jackson and Janet showed up, broke through a security gate and apparently tried to take Michael's children. At the time, Sandra Ribera, a lawyer for Katherine Jackson, described the scene as "chaos," and also claimed that Janet grabbed Paris' cell phone.
ABC News had previously cited a TMZ report that Janet Jackson had slapped Paris, but on Wednesday TMZ issued a retraction.
A statement from TMZ said: "Janet Jackson did not slap or verbally abuse Paris Jackson during a confrontation at the Jackson family home in Calabasas last week. Although we believed the story to be true when we published it, we have now determined it was not correct . Janet did not slap or otherwise touch Paris, nor did she verbally abuse her."
Jermaine addressed that incident, too, on Twitter, saying he and his siblings went to the home to make arrangements for the children to see their grandmother.
"We were denied that access by security — and it was clear that mutual suspicions had allowed events to spiral out of control. I regret that events were ever allowed to reach such a stage. I regret any distress caused to Prince, Paris and Blanket. That was never, ever the intention of myself, Janet, Rebbie or Randy. Moving forward, the most effective way to best serve Mother's welfare, and that of Michael's children, is to start a collective dialogue, in private," he wrote.