One day after confirming their brotherly band of eight years was no more, the Jonas brothers said a "few days" of heavy conversations led them to decide to "be brothers first."
"We're family first and that's always been our main priority and so honesty within what we do as a group was really important," Nick Jonas, 21, said today on " Good Morning America," confirming he was the brother who initiated the split talks. "I came to the table with the guys…and shared my heart with them and my feelings."
The three brothers, Nick along with Kevin Jonas, 25 and Joe Jonas, 24, announced through a spokesperson Oct. 9 that they had cancelled their 19-day tour. The band had been set to start the tour two days later in Pennsylvania.
"I said, 'Look, I feel like we've had some complications within the group for a long time [and] without addressing them I think this train will fall off the tracks," Nick said. "It was a tough conversation. It was the first time we really had that real conversation."
At the time, the rep described the problem as a "creative rift" among the brothers, a description confirmed by Joe.
"It was just individual things that we were just butting heads about, whether it was the way to set up the music video or even just personal opportunities," Joe said on "GMA." "At some point we decided it was best to finish this and support each other on our own ventures along the way."
The New Jersey-born brothers, who starred in 2010's "Jonas Brothers: Living the Dream" and have sold more than 20 million albums, worked together on new music earlier this year, releasing the singles "Pom Poms" and "First Time."
Fans will never hear their final album together as a band as a whole, the brothers said, but will get a special gift as a thank you for their years of dedication to the band.
"We're going to release four of the unreleased songs from the album," Kevin said. "And we put together the live tracks from the last summer tour - about 10 songs as well - so we'll be giving that to our fans club members, as a gift from us."
"I think that we have the best fans in the world and have for our entire career so we thank them for that and thank them for really understanding," added Nick. "I think we're really in a season right now of being excited about the future but also there's a certain heaviness that comes with closing a chapter."
Kevin, who announced at the end of August that he and wife Danielle, stars of their own reality show, "Married With Jonas," on E!, are expecting a baby girl, said he plans to transition to a more behind the scenes role in the entertainment business.
"I'm going to be going into my first passion which is the business side of things," Kevin said. "I'm in the first round of funding for an entertainment fund that will position brands to target millennials so I'm kind of pouring my passion into that."
Both Nick and Joe said the future for them includes writing music for themselves and others, recording their own music, and exploring acting opportunities.
"This is the first time in a long time we have time to focus on ourselves and support each other through that," Joe said. "We know it's going to be sad for a lot of people but for us we are looking forward to the future."
As for the biggest question circling the brothers' split - whether they will they ever get back together as a band - the brothers themselves say even they don't know for sure.
"I think it's impossible to say forever with anything," said Nick. "I feel like we're playing it one step at a time right now and, like we said, rebuilding as brothers first and starting there."
- Arts & Entertainment
- Kevin Jonas
- Jonas brothers
- Nick Jonas
- Joe Jonas