Cassie Montemarano is 33 years old, but she has more than once been mistaken for her husband’s mother or her mother’s sister.
"A few years ago, I injured my back, and my husband took me to the chiropractor," Montemarano told ABC News. "She made a comment about, 'Oh, it was so nice of your son to bring you,' and I said, 'That's not my son, that's my husband.'"
Montemarano, a teacher from Lima, N.Y., appeared on “Good Morning America” today for an hour-long makeover that she hoped would dramatically transform her look and allow her to appear more her age.
"I've been stopped by several people and a lot of people ask if I'm my mother's sister," she said. "And I kept saying, 'Why does this keep happening? I don't think I look that old.'"
Montemarano, a married mother with a 5-year-old daughter, Katie, entered the “GMA” time machine, where she got the full treatment from the “GMA” beauty dream team of stylist Gretta Monahan, hair stylist Ted Gibson and makeup artist Mally Roncal before she emerged a brand new woman.
"I look amazing!" Montemarano exclaimed when she first saw herself.
Her husband, Steven Montemarano agreed. "I knew she was gonna look good but not this good. Wow!" he said.
Mally’s Beauty Tip
Makeup artist Mally Roncal recommends primer to achieve a youthful appearance. Applied before the rest of your makeup, primer fills in all those pesky fine lines and wrinkles and reveals a gorgeous, enviable complexion.
Style Tips from Gretta Monahan
1. Wearing clothing that is ill-fitted and too big instantly adds age. Always choose fitted clothing over shapeless items.
2. Don't hide or cover your neck. V-necks are the most youthful and flattering neckline.
3. Shop for comfort cautiously. Jeans that have too much stretch fiber are not good because they don't hold their shape and smoothness. Too much stretch can also cause fabric dimples and create an old, saggy look on the body. Look for jeans that have no more than 2% elastane and spandex, the rest should be cotton.
4. The right bra will instantly take off 10 years and 10 pounds. A misfiring bra with too little structure or a stretched out back will make your waistline disappear. Your posture will look frumpy and old.
5. Bright and rich colors will take years off your look instantly, especially when near the face. Black is great to slim. You can add color, youth and flair with scarfs, jewelry and accessories.
6. Spanx are not just for special occasions. From feeling your best in jeans to dresses, take a cue from the celebs and find a smoothing undergarment that feels good enough to wear daily. You will like your look better and feel more confident knowing there are no lines and dents. My favorite is a high-waisted bike short.
7. Don't wear old lady shoes. Playing it "safe" is a surefire way to look old instantly. If you prefer neutral colors, no problem, just make sure you are not buying a clunky heavy sole, bulky boots or unstructured sloppy slipper.
8. A heel will always be more flattering. If you prefer, go for the platform sole that offers the most protection and stability. If you must go a flat, than do a chic ballet flat that fully cover the foot.
Hair tips from Ted Gibson
1. Lighter hair can be very flattering and bring light to the face, thus making you appear younger.
2. Change your hair every year! Even if it’s not a huge change, it can really keep your look young and fresh.
3. Break the rules! Just because you’re of a certain age, it doesn’t mean you have to have short hair or vice versa!
- Mally Roncal
- Gretta Monahan